PubMed Update December 2016 / January 2017
49 in two months. Enjoy!
1) Multiple Fentanyl Overdoses – New Haven, Connecticut, June 23, 2016.
Tomassoni AJ, Hawk KF, Jubanyik K, Nogee DP, Durant T, Lynch KL, Patel R, Dinh D, Ulrich A, D’Onofrio G.
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017 Feb 3;66(4):107-111. doi: 10.15585/mm6604a4.
Comments: Nice description of an outbreak of and public health response to insufflated fentanyl causing severe overdose.
2) Patient Simulation for Assessment of Layperson Management of Opioid Overdose With Intranasal Naloxone in a Recently Released Prisoner Cohort.
Kobayashi L, Green TC, Bowman SE, Ray MC, McKenzie MS, Rich JD.
Simul Healthc. 2017 Feb;12(1):22-27. doi: 10.1097/SIH.0000000000000182.
Comments: Interesting and rigorous way to evaluate overdose knowledge after naloxone provision.
3) Pharmacokinetics of a new, nasal formulation of naloxone.
Tylleskar I, Skulberg AK, Nilsen T, Skarra S, Jansook P, Dale O.
Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Jan 31. doi: 10.1007/s00228-016-2191-1. [Epub ahead of print]
Comments: Data from another nasal naloxone in development.
4) In response to: Do heroin overdose patients require observation after receiving naloxone?
Eggleston W, Clemency BM.
Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2017 Jan 31:1-3. doi: 10.1080/15563650.2017.1284336. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
Comments: Authors note that data on the safety of discharging patients after an hour of observation may not apply in the current era of synthetic opioids.
5) Pharmacists’ role in opioid overdose: Kentucky pharmacists’ willingness to participate in naloxone dispensing.
Freeman PR, Goodin A, Troske S, Strahl A, Fallin A, Green TC.
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2017 Jan 28. pii: S1544-3191(16)31004-4. doi: 10.1016/j.japh.2016.12.064. [Epub ahead of print]
Comments: Mixed opinions.
6) ‘Naloxone works’: The politics of knowledge in ‘evidence-based’ drug policy.
Lancaster K, Treloar C, Ritter A.
Health (London). 2017 Jan 1:1363459316688520. doi: 10.1177/1363459316688520. [Epub ahead of print]
Comments: Interesting article on whose knowledge matters.